Gus is HOME!!! Update below.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Denise, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denise

Denise Member

Update link. http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=20429&view=unread#p204172

Is there anyone who can help this poor guy? They won't hold him for long. He looks so scared. He is an owner surrender, 5-year old orange tabby. His name is Gus & his ID# is A336268. Vet records are available. Please contact Christina Manucy, Rescue Coordinator, Prince Georges County Animal Management, Upper Marlboro, MD, 301.780.7219, camanucy @ co.pg.md.us (remove spaces)

Attached Files:

• gus.jpg
      gus.jpg
      File size:
      69.3 KB
      Views:
  2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: Gus diabetic cat in MD shelter IS OUT OF TIME!

Oh boy does he ever look scared ... I hope someone can help him!

3. Denise

Denise Member

No one has responded and he is running out of time. Poor GUS! nailbite_smile

4. don & chubby & gus

don & chubby & gus Member

Denice,
    I do not know the procedure for adoption or the costs associated with it. I am presently unemployed and funds are slim. If there was some way to get him, I could manage the meds if they were not to bad and certainly take good care of him. That is all can offer though. I am certainly hoping gus makes it out of this and into someones home.

don & chubby

5. ceil99

ceil99 Member

please tell me that don & chubby got to meet gus nailbite_smile

6. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I don't really have much in the way of money, but if Don & Chubby are able to adopt Gus, I will send $40.00 towards the apoption fee. I just wish that I could do more.

7. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

Hi all. I have PMd Don and phoned Denise to talk about logistics. Waiting for replies.

I have received several offers of financial help for Don and Gus, which can be channeled through Diabetic Cats in Need for the tax deduction. I'll let you know when we have plans in place. There may be a need for a shelter pull and transport.

8. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I sure hope that everything works out and that Gus gets a furever home.

~M

9. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

7/23/10 am update

I just got off the phone with Don who tells me he is heading out to meet someone (didn't recognize the name) who is pulling Gus from the shelter and bringing him partway to Don. I have a call into the shelter to verify this info. (Before I start my happy dance.)

Don tells me Gus tested FIV/FeLV negative and is being released without an adoption fee.

Some have offered donations for Gus. Until Don receives and evaluates Gus and his vet records, we won't know whether Gus will need immediate vetting. For the time being, Don has Chubby's insulin and diabetic supplies to use on Gus. I will let y'all know if financial help is needed, and if you have supplies that Don can use, you can contact him directly or go through DCIN if you want a tax deduction or need help with shipping costs.

10. Denise

Denise Member

At this moment, the incredible Rena is driving to meet the incredible Don (& the incredible Chubby!) having rescued Gus from the shelter! From what Christina at the shelter told me this cat had been on prednisone since 2008 and had extensive testing. It is reasonable to believe that the prednisone brought on the diabetes. He is borderline (213). I am not sure why he was on steroids. (I hope he does not have IBD.) Rena told me he is a big cat and that he was settling down for the car ride but was very upset at the shelter. I am sure that Don would appreciate donations for Gus's ongoing care since he is currently unemployed. nailbite_smile

11. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

Re: Gus seems to be on his way HOME!!! Update below.

I just love happy endings! :mrgreen:

12. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for taking in that beautiful boy Don and Chubby.

13. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Thank you, Denise, for posting Gus and for bringing this together. I am so relieved to hear that Gus was in Rena's car an hour ago. Time now for a happy dance... dancing_cat :mrgreen: dancing_cat and to send my donation to DCIN for Ron's care for Gus.

14. don & chubby & gus

I just got home about 30 minutes ago. I put gus in my moms room for the time bing so that he can settle down and relax. He is very constipated. He managed to poop alittle on the way home but you could see by his face that it was hard for him. Rena and I tested him and my otu2 displayed a 150. If I find a vet this eavening or early tomorrow it will probably be best to wait before trying to give him something. Stress may have played a part in this but that is still up there. I gave him some mixed grill for now with water and a bathroom area. He wa so scared from everything that he would not let go of me until I sat with him for a few minutes. He will have a good life here and, a good start to getting better. Rena has made possible gus's first vet visit and complete blood work. Thank you rena. If denise did not post this and venita and the boyz didn't get denise and I talking there would not have been this to write and gus probably would not have been with us. Thank you denise and venita. Going to spend a little time with my new friend. I will post gus's vet results as soon as I know something.

don

15. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the update. I was wondering about this guy all day.
    Bless all of you for stepping in.

MJ&Donovan

16. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

((((Don & Chubby))) and of course ((((Gus))) This was just the update I was hoping to see!!! There isn't enough thanks in the world for wonderful people like you all. Dear Gus know you are now safe and at home with a bean that is going to love you death! You never need to be scared again because there is always going to be someone there to hold your paw.

Mel & Muse (GA)

17. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Awesome news !!! Thank you Everyone involved in his rescue!

18. don & chubby & gus

Checked gus's bg this mourning and he has gone down from 150 yesterday afternoon to 85 now. I have some cat lax, a laxative for cats. I totally forgot yesterday so I will give him some this mourning. I gave gus some mixed grill last, of which he eat about half. This mourning turkey & gravy like chubby. If his bg goes down further,I would guess, there may not be a need for insulin? Either way, he seems a bit more relaxed but still wants to hide. A good dose of tlc will eventually bring him around, he's really been hurt though. You can see it. Forgot it is Saturday, have to try and find a vet.

don

19. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Don,

If I had Gus, I would continue to test him maybe once a day, but he's not sounding diabetic to me.

Denise said Gus has been on prednisone since 2008. You and I talked about how we are uncertain why he's on that drug (sloppy handwriting in vet records, what's new). Wanted to give you a heads up that you should NOT abruptly take him off that. Cats have to be weaned off.

Glad you have a laxative for him. I also suggest you add L-Lysine to his food (250mg BID) to ward off any upper respiratory shelter bugs he most certainly was exposed to, even though his stay in the shelter was brief.

Hugs to Gus from me. Of course he is upset, hurt, uncertain, confused. Poor boy.

Venita

20. don & chubby & gus

I just talked to a vet and set up an appontment for 11:00 today. He also said gus did not sound diabetic. I did not know about prednisone and having to be weaned off. Good point and I will ask the vet today. I am also stopping by the drug store for some lysine, thank you. I think a few of the cats need it, not from gus though. The vet said he uses the alfatrak meter. I am going to take mine and see if we can compare results. On my way to the vets.

don

21. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new furry baby.

Can't wait to hear how the vet appt goes.

Two cats that I recently adopted went off insulin very quickly. Mr. Darcy didn't need insulin at all once he was home with me, his previous foster had started changing his diet, that may have done the trick.

Bean went off the juice within three days, she was a steroid induced diabetic and dry food eater. She switched to canned food after her first night here, I think the steroid may have been out of her system at that point too, I want to say it was a shot that she was given.

I continue to check both cats, now maybe only once a month, but they continue with the low numbers. My hope is that neither will be FD again, but once FD, always FD so you need to keep up with the good food and know that sometimes there can be a relapse.

Tucker was off insulin for about a year, a pancreatitis flare from stress put him back on insulin and he will probably be insulin dependent for good. But either way, he's purrfect :)

22. don & chubby & gus

Just got back from the vets office. He doesn't think gus is diabetic. He tested and gus was at 102, 89 for my onetu2. So not bad. Gus had a bad tooth but that seems to be it for now. We are waiting to talk to gus's vet to see why he was on the prednisone and now off for three months. Until we find out anything, gus's new vet said to watch his eating, any vomiting or diarrhea. Hopefully early next week we will find something out.

don, chubby, gus & others

23. ceil99

ceil99 Member

very, very good news - give him plenty of kisses and headbutts for me

i give my "older" guys Miralax twice a week to help the constipation. I could not give the cat lax because it was loaded with sugar. You may want to watch that.

Keep us updated please

24. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Well....sounds like Gus is another BROKEN diabetic.

25. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

LOL...he may be broken indeed.

Great work, Don...welcome home, Gus! You can relax now and enjoy your new family...

Best-
    Michele

26. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Don, will Gus be needing a dental because of that tooth?

27. don & chubby & gus

Gus is doing ok but not eating very much. I have to give fuids every 6 hours because I don't think he is drinking. He threw up, p&p on the way back from the vets Saturday. Last night he finally went pee. His bg has been fluctuating between 49 and 7I. This morning he was at 57. I found out today that gus was taking the prednisone for IBD but, was abruptly stopped when his friend went to a nursing home. So its been about 3 months since he last had any. To me, he seems to have done well in those 3 months though. Why he is not eating much now could be to stress, his bad tooth, I just don'i know. He is still very scared. When I hold him, he clings to me and after a few minutes he wants to go back in his house. I called the vet today after I found out more about him but the vet was not in. He is suppose to call back tomarrow so I will see then what he has to say as far as a possible plan to start getting gus's health back on track. If there is any way to possibly diet control this, that will certainly be, what I will be insisting on. I do not know if there are any long term use side effects of prednisone use? I would say yes to your question venita, He had tarter build up and yellowing plus the one rotting tooth. Hopefully this new vet will have some, what I want to hear answers. I will also ask about using the miralax. The bottle said to if you have IBD. Gus has been through alot, hopefully whatever it takes to make him better wont be to hard on him.

don,chubby,gus & others

28. Denise

Denise Member

Gus is such a lucky boy. This is a fantastic board and thank you, Venita, for all your hard work connecting all the points. I also want to thank Don for giving this poor guy a place to go! Incredible! From what I learned today through my own sleuthing was that Mr Madden owned 4 cats. He must have had a stroke in April because according to the vet that is when he stopped coming in for the prednisone. (He had been pretty good about vetting his cats although there were 2 females that were not spayed ---grrrrr!) They were giving Gus the pred for IBD. And that must have brought on his high sugar levels. The owner's family came down from New England last week to "clean house" since dad was being moved to a nursing home and I guess that meant calling the shelter to pick up the cats. (Horrible to think that the cats were nothing but furniture to them!) One cat was immediately euthanized (don't know why) and there are 2 still there (I am trying to find rescue for them). The reason Christina at the shelter alerted me to Gus (and not the others) was due to Gus's medical condition. It is a good thing, too, knowing how trigger happy this shelter is. I hope that Don is able to manage the IBD. I know that we will all give him our support. Again, this is a fantastic board with so many good people. It means so much when everyone rallies together. Personally, it is what keeps me going when I know there are good people out there--especially when I see so many of the bad ones doing this work (e.g. Mr Madden's children!)

29. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Don, DCIN has had a couple of diabetic cats lately--Eeyore and Yoda--who were in very bad shape physically when they came to new homes (one furever and one foster). We are learning not to overreact to bloodwork that shows stress on the internal organs when the cat is malnourished and dehydrated. Eeyore has been and Yoda is being brought back to health through a good diet, insulin, and TLC.

We also have seen that at rehoming, poor appetite is common. It usually works its way out within a week or so, but in the meantime you have to be vigilant (as you are being) in getting Gus to stay nourished and hydrated.

Are you giving SubQ fluids? You may have to. Chat with the vet about that. You can get your first bag, admin line, and needles from the vet, but they are pricey. However, a vet tech will train you in giving fluids, if you don't already know how. If you are going to need more than one bag of fluids, let me know and I can ship you some, with the admin lines and needles.

Also, you have a sponsor through DCIN for the initial vetting that Gus needs, including the dental procedure with extraction. The cost is covered. It is not your job to worry about money; that's my job. Your job is to feed that boy and love on him.

If you want tips for encouraging a reluctant cat to eat, just ask. Folks around here have plenty.

30. don & chubby & gus

I was actually thinking about subq fluids tonight when gus threw his water right back up. I worry about him becoming dehydrated. I blieve his stomach is hurting that is why he threw up. The vet may even suggest fluids tomorrow when I talk to him about what options does gus have. He needs to get something going for him though, thats for sure. Gus seemed to like the turkey & gravy so I put a can full in the blender with extra water. Hopefully he will eat some. I am also thinking on a raw diet for him. It seems, as it was for chubby, that diet is going to be everything in his recovery. I have learned a few things here. Still have a ways to go. It's hard reading sometimes when you see what others here are going through. If I have learned anything though, its that I have not seen one person here ever give up, no matter what the odds. Hopefully tomorrow the vet can get gus on track again.

don,chubby,gus & more

31. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

Don,

be sure to ask the vet about the possibility of changing the IBD treatment from pred (systemic steroid) to budenoside (a more local-acting steroid for the GI tract). Also, how was the IBD diagnosed? Was there an endoscopy and biopsy at some point?

I think you are right to be thinking about raw food. That can really help an IBD cat. If you don't have easy access to dietarily complete raw, could you pick up some chicken breast when you go to the vet? See how Gus handles that. It will also help you figure out whether he'll go for raw right off. If not, you can dip in a little boiling water so just the outside is cooked, or if he won't eat that, simmer in water till it's cooked through.

laur

32. don & chubby & gus

I haven't heard from the vets office yet. If not soon I will call back. I went to store and got some ckicken breast. Diced it up and let it sit in hot water until maybe half cooked. WhenI brang it to gus he really perked up and started to try and eat some. I can't really tell if he has or not. I will keep on checking. His stomach may be felling bad. He threw up again this mourning when I was checking his bg. Not much coming out since he has not been drinking and did not touch some gravy I put in earlier. I have no idea how his IBD was dianosed. We have not been able to get alot of info. I will ask denise if she has been able to find out anything more. I think at this point gus needs some meds and a good cleaning out. I will ask about the budenoside vs. the prednisone. Time to make a call.

don,chubby,gus & the gang

33. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Gus may need some Flagyl (metronidazole) for a few weeks. It's an antibiotic/anti-inflammatory that is aimed to work in the gut.

Tucker used to take it when his IBD would flare. It came in a compounded liquid form, for Tucker we chose fish flavor :) That with subq's may help get Gus feeling better. Tucker's IBD flared when he ate wheat or corn gluten. When I adopted him he was a dry food eater and very sick. After changing over to gluten free canned his IBD got much better.

34. don & chubby & gus

I just got back from the vets office. After examining gus again( palpitating his stomach ) he couldn't find anything wrong anything wrong except a low fever. No diarrhea, no pain, only threw up the water a couple times and just not eating very much. Gus lost 1 lb. since Saturday, the vets concern was with his liver. Although gus has been dianosed with IBD there was no evidence today that this was his problem now. Gave subq fuids, an appetite stimulant and an antibiotic. He said that If this does not help him the only thing left to do is start blood work. Told me to keep an eye on him and call tomorrow to let him know hows he doing. I believe I found a pretty good vet here. I look at him as a thinker not a responder and he is more on top of things then I first thought. Secondly, I don't find myself second guessing his decisions so far. Which makes me feel good and hopefully gus soon.

35. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

What appetite stimulant? What ABx? The ABx could cause diarrhea, so you might want to start Gus on a probiotic, like acidophilus (from pharmacy).

Also, why not start blood work now? He's going to need it for the dental anyway. It can serve as pre-anesthesia blood for for 2-4 weeks, depending on the vet you are dealing with. If the B/W could show something that needs to be worked on, that would be helpful to know. DCIN has a sponsor that is willing to cover the initial vetting and dental.

But again, it's most likely good food that is going to make him well.

Did the vet send you home with fluids for continuing SubQ? If so, and you are going to need more, please let me know and I will get it to you.

PS Don--See this post about a video project on adopted diabetics.

36. don & chubby & gus

I did not find out what the appetite stimulant was. Gus had started to eat the chicken a little before I even took him to the vet. He did finish off the rest that night and everything I gave him today. For some reason he just does not want to drink any water. It could be that he might like to drink from the sink, toilet or running water. I don't think they have been giving him subq for 11 years. Something is just not in the picture and I have not been able to find it yet. Give me a little more time. They gave him fluids there but none to take with at this time. If it comes to that, no problem, but I would rather find the missing piece to this puzzle. The antibiotic that he gave was convenia. I asked about any side effects because of the post I read ealier. He said that he has been using this for awhile with no problems. Gus is doing fine as of today. No diarrhea, as a matter of fact, I am waiting for his first home poop. I hope I don't have to give him a ride in the truck every time I want him to go to the bathroom. For now, patiently thinking.

37. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Friday 7/30/10

Don, any further updates on Gus??

38. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new family member Don Hope all goes well Bless you for taking this little guy in Angels & Prayers coming to help you Kath :mrgreen:

39. don & chubby & gus

Had to go back to the vets today. Gus has not had anything since 7-28 afternoon. Told vet to give more fluids and wanted some appetite stimulant so he would eat. Have 4 days worth of cyproheptadine. They are also doing a full blood profile, will know more on monday. Had a small fever on the 27th, and still had one today. Could have a URI. Hopefully the blood work will narrow the possibilities down. He has not pooped since the 27th, forgot to ask about getting him something. Will call tomoorrow and get something. Did pee when I put him in the truck so that was good. Rode the whole way to the vets office on my lap. Apparently gus was not doing well for longer then we thought. Him and his buddies were left in the aparment after they took the guy away for more then a couple of months. By the time they got gus and friends the conditions there were horrible. Someone apparently was atleast giving them food. I guess it's not to hard to see why gus is in the condition he is in. Special thank you's to denise for being able to save 2 of gus's buddies(3rd buddy was put down right away?) and gus's guardian angel rena.

40. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

How is his weight doing? You can try meat baby food, something without onion or garlic. Just pure meat. You can try to warm his food so he can smell it. Usually it takes 7-10 days for a newly placed cat to snap out of the URI/inappetance cycle they come with. Looks like Gus is a tough case. Hope the cypro takes hold soon.

URI is viral, so the Lysine (if you can get it into him) would help. Some vets try Interferon to boost the immune system. Some give antibiotics to ward off secondary bacterial infections, but Gus just had the Covenia shot.

If the vet hasn't sold you SubQ fluids for home use, eye droppers of water. Also adding water to any food you might be able to get into him.

41. housecats4

Prayers and Angels coming to help Gus. Don thank you for giving Gus the love and care he needs ..Hope his two buddies fine a forever home too Bless the little one that had to go to Rainbow Bridge before his time.. So sad these cats were most likely this old owner`s little loves and they end up like this because he got too old and sick to care for them.. Thank goodness some kind person was at least feeding them Kath :cry:

42. Heather & Angel (GA)

Heather & Angel (GA) Member

Don,

I'm so glad you're able to give Gus a good home! I saw the original post and wished I could take him, but I couldn't.

Not pooping in 3 days sounds bad. If you're not already giving Gus miralax, I strongly recommend that you try it. A little of Angel's story -- she was diagnosed with probable IBD several years ago, based on frequent vomiting, and the specialist prescribed budesonide for it. But the regular vet gave her a shot of depo medrol instead, which caused her FD. After that, I was afraid to give her more steroids of any kind, so we didn't treat the IBD for a while, until she went back to the specialist again. At that time, she was put on miralax and cisapride, a drug that helps intestinal motility and is used frequently for IBD. After starting on these, she practically never threw up anymore, even without any steroids. I'm not sure if it was the cisapride or miralax or the combo that helped the most. The cisapride that I gave her was compounded at a local pharmacy, so it was fairly expensive, maybe $45/month. But miralax is over-the-counter, and as far as I know, it has no bad side effects, unless you give too much and cause diarrhea, and then you can just cut the dose.

I mostly gave Angel the miralax in her food. It needs to be dissolved in water first, though. Toward the end, when her appetite wasn't reliable, I would give her miralax-water in a syringe. The proportions that I used were 1/8 tsp. miralax in 3/4 tsp. water.

If Gus doesn't poop soon, you might have to take him to the vet for an enema. As you may already know, you can't give most over-the-counter enema preparations for humans to cats. Enemas can also be dangerous at the vet's office if they're not done properly, but if Gus is blocked he may need one. I'd say if he hasn't pooped by Monday, a trip back to the vet is in order.

43. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like gus has a vicious cycle going on.... URI maybe he cant smell food.. if he hasnt eaten much in 2 days then there isnt going to be much poo, but the poo still in there needs to come out. Constipated cats also dont eat much. Merlyn being off his food, near the end, it was either constipation or pulmonary edema.

Be careful using Miralax if he is already blocked that would not be good for him.

Sending lots of pooping and no snot vibes.

44. housecats4

OK Gus give new dad a break and poop Kath :? nailbite_smile

45. don & chubby & gus

Since getting fluids Friday & the appetite stimulant cypro, gus has been eating about 3/4 of a can of fancy feast in a 24 hour period. He has peed everyday so far but no poop. Its been a good 5 days now. Still not drinking either as far as I can tell. Bloodwork came back today, wbc is 2.7(3.5-16),CPK is 2492(56-529),ALT is 147(10-100),Neutrophils is 1809(2500-8500), Lymphocytes 648(1200-8000). I am waiting to hear back from someone who can tell me what all this means and then talk to the vet. Have to go by the vets tomorrow anyways for somemore cypro, if they are not busy I may be able to talk with one of them. I don't know if a laxative will work now if he is to bound up, need to start right after he goes poop. Hopefully soon. I don't think he will like the alternative and I hate subjecting him to it.

46. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

how's gus doing? Been very worried about him. And so many thanks to you for taking him in.

laur

47. don & chubby & gus

This past friday I was about to take gus to the vets since he had not pooped in 7 days. I decided to take him to store with me and see if he might go. On the way back he started and when I got him home he finished in a big way. Made my day. I took him to walmart today and he pooped a little. I know he dosen't have alot in him though. Tried some knew food last night. I am trying to get gus to open up a little and relax. He dose not seem to interested in joining the rest of the gang, so I can only wait and see if time is what he needs. No signs of being in any pain or discomfort, just seems to like being a recluse for now. Hopefully in time and some more rides I will be able to make him feel better about all that has gone on in his life recently. For some reason you just know that all the events that took place to get gus here has really taken a toll on him. All I can do is try and make him comfortable, keep an eye on him and wait until he is ready. Well, maybe with a little coaxing.

Don,chubby,gus & the gang

48. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that Gus is still so tramatized by his past. But I know how that one goes, after adopting Muse I didn't see my girl for about the first 3 months I had her, except at night I would hear her creep out from under my bed to eat,drink and use the box. Then the first big thunderstorm hit, and my girl was up on the bed in a flash wanting her new mommy for comfort. Sometimes it just takes, love, patience and most importantly time to relearn that no one is going to hurt them or abandon them again. Its a shame that any of them should ever have to know a single bad day with humans.

Mel & Muse (GA)

49. housecats4

Awww well at least you know how to get him to poop take him driving..Don you ar one in a million Thanks to people like you that take a chance to help these little guys and gals.. So right Muse they should never have to deal with all this pain poor little dears...All we can do is help one when we get the chance..Hugs to both of you Don & Gus time will tell I guess. Sending Angels to help Gus and tell him he is savfe with you Prayers for a coming together as a family for all your kitties...It took Trey 3 months before he let Muggins around him and play with.. Kath

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.