freestyle mess :-/ ugh

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by donnahc, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Hi kids: :coffee:

Still dealing with the Freestyle meter debacle here. Did a test this morning on the control solution between the Freestyle and Alpha Trak and only 30 points difference. But I really don’t believe that now.

So I braved Walbogs and I got a new Relion meter today. From my first test it looks like it isn’t lying to me.
    I don’t like what I see, I am actually a bit sick to my stomach, but we press on.

+7 test
    Alpha Trak 318
    Relion 288
    Freestyle Lite 199

Asher’s not having a great mid day today anyway, and then to realize these higher numbers are closer to the truth, I just want to cry. But we have no choice to move ahead. Last night and this morning we raised his dose to 3.2 in anticipation of cruddy numbers. I am going to have to hang here for a few days to see if we need to raise again. Before all this mess I was actually wondering if we needed to lower the dose. I wasn’t convinced he was doing better on more insulin. Now I just have no freaking idea, but it’s a starting point for lack of another way to describe it.

My vet emailed me back and said why don’t we do a fructosomine test. Ugh. I really don’t want to stress him going to the vet since he seems fine, and not to trust those numbers anyway due to stress. So...I said I’d do a curve at home. I hope he is ok with that. I am waiting on his response with that.

I updated Asher’s spreadsheet. Dunno why since these numbers now mean nothing, but I have to have something to go on.

So back to square one. We’ll keep ya posted.

2. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

****!
    I want to cry for both of us!
    we both thought our babies were doing so well
    just to find this out
    I am sick to my stomach
    I am so sorry hang in there, I will be buying the relion this weekend and testing
    *$#(&*%)$%&@#()*$^_&*@&@*($ cat(2)_steam

3. donnahc

My vet just got back to me. Dunno what to do.

He said the fructosamine is an outpatient appointment (they draw blood and send it to a lab). The good thing about fructosamine levels are that they are not affected by stress hyperglycemia. He would also compare the different testing devices with the same sample to compare the results.

Sounds like I should do it. I have no idea what the test will cost. That shouldn’t matter, I gotta do what’s best for Asher, but it does add to the worry a bit I have to admit. We are so slow with work right now.

I’m all ears if anyone has any opinions. Thanks in advance. confused_cat

4. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm sorry both of you are struggling with this. I don't think Thumper ever had that test so I can't offer any info. Either way sounds fine really though. If you're testing for ketones & Asher is acting fine I don't think it would be bad to not do the test, especially if the cost is an issue. Isn't it a shame how much vets cost? I can go to the doctor a lot cheaper.

5. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

I can definetly empathize with you both. I've been there and did the switch to relion micro about 6wks ago. Wish i could say my kitty is regulated yet.

Now you are on track!

lori

6. Jessica & Boo Radley

Jessica & Boo Radley Member

The fructosamine test will tell you a 2-3 week average. I think the question you're looking for is more about the reliability of your meters and which is accurate vs. an average over time.

Human meters should read just about 30-40 points lower than the Alpha Trak (which your Relion is doing).....and with my recent experience with the Freestyle and those numbers you just posted....I think you already have your answer :sad: :sad: No fun I know, my heart was in my stomach two weeks ago when this happened to us....I thought it was just our meter.

I'm not sure if it makes any sense to stress Asher out just to see what that 2-3 week average is. If you're still questioning at all whether your new meter is accurate...you could make the trip yourself and just test your meter against the vet's....Personally, I think it's becoming crystal clear that the Freestyle is way off and that you can trust the Relion.

The bottom line....Asher is feeling good and the insulin he has been getting has been helping!

7. dmartini4

You know what, The reason I started this whole thing was because of the fructosomine test
    his blood was 357 at +4 at the vet, but the test came back at 446
    I thought, what the hell he has been getting great numbers...so that is what made me start the alpha track thing
    SO glad I did,
    so I am thinking if you are tight for money, would you feel ok trusting Shakespeares fructsomine test...and start using the new meters knowing
    that we both did the research, and wait on the test until you are in a better situation
    andI am going to call my vet now and let you knoww aht she says

8. donnahc

I think I am going to get this test done. I am hoping it won’t be much more than a full blood panel, like 100 bucks or something. I want to know the outcome so we have the most info to go on, and I also want my vet to know I will work with him on this. He is VERY cool about me emailing him with all my questions since he is 45 mins away.

Meanwhile I may shoot a bit early tonight to ward off some really high numbers. I’ll hang at 3.2 for another day or so and see how it goes.

I have to say a giant Thank You to Denise and Jessica (and anyone else I am forgetting or missed somehow) for alerting us to this craziness with the freestyle meters. It may be upsetting but this is crucial for us to give our babies the best care they deserve. I so appreciate all of you!

9. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

just to make sure everyone knows, the fructosamine is not the same as a glucose reading. which that sounds confusing doesn't it. :) it's hard to explain but a number from a fructosamine test has to be converted to a glucose number. in other words, the 446 cannot be compared straight across with the 357.

here's the conversion charts
    http://www.sugarcats.com/articles/Fruct ... on-charts/

10. donnahc

Thanks Cindy. I had no idea about that so the chart will come in handy.

It was worse than we thought tonight :( By the new meter he was 404. I almost got sick when I saw it. So, we shot 3.6. Will monitor closely.
    Hope these bad numbers go away quickly once we get a good dose for him.

11. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Furry paw hugs. :YMHUG:

It may not be a sun shiny day but at least it's not beyond hope. :smile:

I know...easy to say.

12. dmartini4

I am so sorry and I know how you feel
    I filled out Shakes SS tonight and a whole bunch of red which we havent seen
    in I dont even know how long
    I also shot a fat 3.6, but tonight he was 361 for his preshot(at least it is not red like the lst few day!)
    Hang in there!

13. Ginny & Alex

Ginny & Alex Well-Known Member

Donna and Denise,
    Sorry to hear about your disappointment and frustrations with the meters you're using.
    But on the bright side, if you thought your boys were regulated, then they must not be exhibiting too many signs of diabetes. Bottom line, they both must still be feeling good.

Good luck and keep up the good fight!

14. Alrighty then, looks like it's time for some words from Mr. BrightSide!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cindy - thanks for posting that chart. When I got halfway through this post, that's exactly where I was going.....making people realize that BG tests and fruc tests are not apples to apples. That's exactly what Donna and Denise needed to hear, so thanks again!

Remember back in high school when you really fell for that guy that was all the world AND a bag of chips, and he was going to be your super-duper hero, your knight in shining armor, [​IMG]
    and make all your dreams come true? And then you found out he was two-timing you while you weren't watching and then lying about it after you knew for sure that he was a lying sack of doo-doo??? [​IMG]
    Well, that is the asshole who is now the VP in charge of selling doo-doo that passes for FreeStyle meters.
    Remember how you never thought you'd get over him? But you did? [​IMG]
    Deja Vu all over again, angels.
    Take the meter, stick it in a big brown envelope, write him a "you are the scum of the earth" letter, and mail it to Freestyle. [​IMG] Mail it C.O.D. even! Let him know he's screwing up hundreds or thousands of cats and their people, and that everyone who posts here knows it. And that they all have FaceBook accounts, so it's only a matter of time until it's shared with the known universe. And then tell him he was a really bad kisser too! [​IMG]
    And then, grab a glass of wine [​IMG] and pretend you're at the beach tomorrow morning and seeing this:
    [​IMG]
    Denise - THIS is why we get up so early in the morning!
    I love you guys,
    [​IMG]
    Carl

15. donnahc

Carl you are the best :) I'm having a beer now in your honor :)
    We tested at +3 and we were down to 240 something. So at least we know the insulin still works.
    I'm gonna try to get a +6 tonight or as close to that as I can stay up for. Just because we never shot this much insulin before. Crazy stuff.
    Thanks to everyone for your support !

16. LOL Donna!
    I'm glad you liked it (that was sort of labor intensive). You know how you get a warning if your pic is too large? And it says "your images can only be 600 pixels high"? Well apparently that includes the smileys too, because I had to downsize the pic to like 300 x 400 to make it work.

That photo was sunrise at 7:25am today. It looked better in person, but hey, I'm using a phone to take the shots!

17. donnahc

Loved the photo. Haven't been to the beach since Asher got so sweet :) so I really appreciate seeing it!

18. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Carl,

Love the sunrise picture. Wish i was there with my toes in the sand.

Lori

19. Then I shall try to keep you "dosed" on beach pics! No matter where I am at work or at home, it's never more than 1/4 mile away. :cool:

20. Humorous tidbit of tourist question...
    One day, this young couple were driving around the park just before sunset, and I was driving through making sure everyone was outside the gate before I locked it. I got the guy's attention and told him it was time to go because the park was closing. He said "oh man, I just wanted to show my girlfriend sunset on the ocean....where is the best place to see that?" Apparently he didn't know east from west, so I just looked at him and said "Uh, that would be California". I then sent him outside the gate to the west side of the island so he could watch the sunset over the marsh. I hope she was impressed!

21. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Funny! Sounds like a tourist thing She has a winner there. Maybe they really were not interested in sunset's at all!

lol
    lori

22. dmartini4

Oh Carl,
    Thank you so much for the laugh, tear and flashback to the asshole I dated in highschool!
    Good thing my x asshole is snaking toilets, seems fitting somehow! :mrgreen:
    so, as always you are so right, chin up and carry on! ;-)
    Thank you also for the beautiful picture,
    a nice sunrise always makes me smile!
    you are truly a blessing!
    Thank you

23. dmartini4

oh and if i read this last night I wouldhave had a glass of wine with you!
    sorry I missed it!

24. donnahc

The drinking last night must have helped. We were in the 200's overnight and 277 for amps. We went with 3.6 again this morning and will test all day. We'll get thru this Denise. Hopefully it is not too rough getting our boys back on track.

25. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Wow! What a great read this freezing morning (and great pic too!).

Glad the kitties are getting back on track. I really like Carl's idea about sending the meters back, and posting on FB. Too funny!

Fuzzy paw hugs! :YMHUG:

26. owlgal

owlgal Well-Known Member

Glad to see all the kitties are getting back on track! :RAHCAT

Lori

27. Angela&Henry

Angela&Henry Well-Known Member

Thats a good AMPS.
    Looks like it won't take long to get Asher back on track even after the Freestyle disaster!
    Wishing Asher good numbers today!

28. donnahc

We hit the blues at +7 today. Hope we can keep him in good numbers now. Anti jinx, touch wood :mrgreen:

29. donnahc

I put a post on the fdmb page on Facebook about this too. I saw there was another post on Health about it from Eva and Butters. Want to get the word out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.