Bud's BG 316 and given 2 units; BG 35 @+4;

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by eeraby, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eeraby

eeraby Member

Please take a look at her SS

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Good for you for jumping in action with the Karo.

Are you testing every 15-20 minutes?

You need at least two rising numbers. And after that I might test every 1/2 hour until +6ish unless she is really up out of the lowish zone.

Do you have any high or medium carb food around? You can give that too if he hovers around 40 then check about 15 minutes later.

Another thing too when you get a low [unexpected] number like that is to re-test just to make sure it is not a false low.

3. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you have any High Carb food left in the house? If you do feed it, if not break out the honey or Karo syrup.

Test again in 20 minutes, 35 is getting into hypo numbers.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

beth, i'm gonna take a look at your ss. my first thought is don't over-react. how close is this to your normal nadar?

5. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well i see twice where bud's a late nadar. i'll check you out on health too, in case your updating there.

7. Gator & H (GA)

Do post back here with your testing results. And any updates. We are following you closely and are here to help.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey where are you? keep us posted k?

9. Gator & H (GA)

I know this episode is not over, and I hope bud is doing OK. Do post back here we do care and really want to know if he is doing OK or not.

But when this is over and were back to being smiles again, if you do not get back for a while and any of us have drifted off, for tonight's shot it is important that you reduce the dose. I think Robin had suggested to give 1u twice per day. So if your kitty is up over 200 at the PMPS tonight only give 1u and continue only giving 1u [or less for right now] and come back and check frequently with us so we can update your progress. And hopefully you kitty will need even further dose reductions along the way as the LC food kicks in. :smile:

And if anyone else has any input on that please chime in.

10. eeraby

eeraby Member

one hour 40 min..... 67

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

that looks good...don't overdo the carbs just yet. you are likely out of the woods.
    and this is now almost 6 hours since shot? how much Karo and high carb have you given?

12. Gator & H (GA)

67, that's good. So this is 1 hour and 40 minutes after +4 which would be +5.6ish? So test in 20 minutes if the number is still going up then test again in 1/2 hour.

The peak of ProZinc usually hits around +6 but can come earlier or later. So you are almost at the typical peak action [strongest influence] of the insulin.

If you can feed him food - probably low carb right now.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

gator her ss show's this cat is really headed for remission. she has gone days without shootable #'s. i would not shoot the rebound # you get in the morning....wait and see if bud takes it down himself. he needs to prove his point..one way or the other. and this kitty does nadar late form the 2 samples the ss has.

14. eeraby

eeraby Member

Was scared to give her high carb.... she 'gulped' down some food. not a lot. she only eats about 1/5 to 1/4 of a 5.5oz can at meals... so maybe she just ate .. gosh, sorry, I don't know how to tell you how much. she did walk away after just a couple of minutes then I put her back at it and she ate the same amount again.
    just put a smudge of Kayro on her gums... twice, I think. Not a lot. was scared to give her too much. didn't want it to bounce way back up. And she had no symptoms. She was playing with me just before I tested. Acting perfectly normal. Don't know why I tested because I usually don't. Guess it was the jump back to 300+ after being <200 the day before.

first time i've had to do this. couldn't find the syringe to get it in to her mouth.

I think ya'll are so right.. I think Gator mentioned cutting her dose in 1/2 to 1 unit 2x a day, earlier.

So, this ain't going to be as easy as I thought I was going to be, is it?

15. Rob & Harley (GA)

I did suggest going to 1 unit twice a day to avoid this exact situation.

16. eeraby

eeraby Member

we already did the PM shot. at 5.00. 9.00 was the 37(tested twice). 10.40 was 67.
    I'm on Eastern

17. Gator & H (GA)

Actually Beth I have high hopes for you guys. I'm hoping it works out very easy for you.

Lori this is my argument against no-shoot tonight:
    No shoot on 12/13 morning, numbers keep going up all the way to 12/14 morning to over 300.

Beth, ultimately it is your choice what to dose your cat - you are the one holding the syringe. I'm not sure what Lori will come back and say but you can also eyeball .5u of insulin if you wanted to split the difference between 1u and 0u.

I think it's about time for another test, let us know what you get.

ohmygod_smile Man late night for you I'm soooo sorry. Yea in the morning I meant to say.

That eating a lot thing is a natural reaction to low numbers. That's why if your kitty is not a hoover kitty to always have food out for them so they can at least try to self correct if you shoot too much.

18. eeraby

eeraby Member

Yes, Rob. Thank you. Sorry I didn't remember it was you. I'm so new to the site and all the wonderful folks on here, a bit hard to keep up sometimes. :oops:

I'd just about figured out who the folks on health were when they turned me on to ya'll.

I've been out of town and haven't been able to keep on top of this very well. I have Dec 17th thru January off, so will be able to get this nailed down. And I'll be here in the mornings until 9.30 whereas hubby tests at 5:15 am and then leaves immediately.

Going to restest now.

Thank you ALL!

19. Rob & Harley (GA)

Nothing about this is easy. It is a learning curve that you climb up rung by rung. We are here to help you if you want it.

20. eeraby

eeraby Member

66 (first was 22, but didn't get a lot of blood, so retested and got the 66)

21. Gator & H (GA)

You are like on the cusp of taking action. Usually at +6 and something like 66 we would say feed low carb and test in 1/2 hour.

I'd make sure she has low carb and test in 1/2 hour. Other ideas? Hopefully by +8 she'll be headed back up - that's about when PZI usually starts to wear off.

If you do give her any medium or high carb don't let her mow it down. Just give her a little [sometimes all it takes is just licking the gravy a bit if it has gravy].

It looks like you did a good job with the Karo and not overdoing it [hopefully]. Just enough.

22. Rob & Harley (GA)

What Gator said. But I would keep testing until I got 3 consecutive rising numbers.

23. eeraby

eeraby Member

I gave her a small palm full of dry 11.32. and put her back at her wet. she MOWED the dry.

How long before it kicks in?

BTW... we just switched from the Friskies (all under 7 carbs) to SophistiCats (0-4 carbs) on Thursday. She's likely the SophistiCats better.

24. Gator & H (GA)

It should be pretty quick - like within 20 minutes I would think. Usually you can see the HC hit that fast. With the dry I would expect a pretty big response from a palm of it. I have a feeling things will be going up from here. We'll see.

25. eeraby

eeraby Member

11:49 BG 72

whew.

What's a 'good' number?

26. eeraby

eeraby Member

HC?

Hate to be ignorant, but, as I've only been at this 12 days (and away from home for most of it), what's nadar?

27. Gator & H (GA)

HC = high carb
    MC= medium carb
    nadir = lowest point of the curve viewtopic.php?p=123637#p123637 - from the PZI Sitcky [important reading]

Technically 66 is a 'good' number but you just have to also consider where the numbers might be headed. At +4 and 35 that's why we were like :shock: because we knew the peak action of the insulin was still to come. 35 @ +6 would still be :shock: but a hair less :shock: .

So a 66 at +8 is a pretty great number but makes me wonder where she came from in the hours leading up to that. A 66 at +4 is like :? I better keep an eye on this and test in max one hour to see where this is going.

You can read the steer the numbers game here which might help a little too:
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29427

and actually the "cat hypo'd last night now what?" topic too you officially qualify for ;-) :
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29447

28. eeraby

eeraby Member

Shot 2 units at 313. +4 BG was 35. If nadir is +5-7, this could have been very bad had I not tested and found it?

So, we are all agreed? 1 unit (1/2 her prescribed dose) in the morning even if under 200? If under 100? And another 1 unit in the pm?
    I am off tomorrow, so will be able to monitor her all day.

29. Gator & H (GA)

I'm almost chickening out and thinking you might want to shoot 0.5u in the morning if she is over 200. At this point I would not shoot until she is over 200. We can always increase back up to 1u if she races off and it might help allow any "rebound" and/or effect from the dry food and Karo clear from her system.

If you are home to monitor then you could take the chance with the larger 1u over 200. If you do shoot 1u absolutely do not let +3 pass without testing. That will help you know where you are headed.

If you shoot 0.5u in the morning try to grab +3 and +6 at least.

If you no shoot then maybe grab +6 for the heck of it.

Yes this could have been very bad. You did good - excellent in fact for your first time.

I think the only major thing I would have done different was to get more tests after the +4 and between the +5.6ish.

If you want to finesse things you can get a medium carb food in that she really likes and a high carb food in that she really likes. Then you have more options.

I would get more input on what a medium carb would be but my interpretation of that is like 12-16% carbs And high carb would be something over 20% carbs - something usually with gravy. I don't know. I never had to give medium carb so... In a pinch the dry food seemed to help you - we'll see if she skyrockets from it. Hopefully we won't have to come back to this point. :smile:

Robin is on Eastern time and I know she gets up early, I'm betting she's done for the night. Hopefully she'll be around in the morning. Lori and I [pacific time] will DEFINITELY not be around in the morning. And I think Lori has gone for the night too. But post during the day and update you SS during the day and I'll at least try to poke in and see how you are doing when I get up.

30. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

shoot as little as is humanly possible. let bud show you what his pancreas can do. do a curve and watch bud take himself down. it is likely he will. let him prove his point to you.
    the amps will be combo of food and rebound...i say wait it out or token dose it.

31. eeraby

eeraby Member

12:25 BG 108

32. Gator & H (GA)

It's looking like the trend is: be conservative.

108 is looking like you are in good territory. I think you should be OK. That's two consecutive rising numbers. And you are right at the end of the peak. So if you wanted you could grab +8. I would expect the effects of the insulin to have begun to wearing off by +8. But 108 is very respectable and I think/hope you are out of danger.

33. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if under 100 no shot! if under 200 no shot or .5, if under 300 then .5
    this is just my opinion

34. Gator & H (GA)

Lori, can we negotiate a no shoot of 150 or below in this case? If Bud's at 110 and she shoots a .5 that kind of worries me at this juncture.

35. eeraby

eeraby Member

ok....
    in the morning if 200-300, 0.5. I'll test at +3 and +5 (beginning of nadir) and then either +6 or +7 depending on where she's at.
    No shot under 200.
    Over 300, 1.0

The dry food I gave her.... *if* we go here again, do you think I gave her too much? Should I give her 1/2 of what I did?

I really hope to be able to get this under control with just the low carb food. Putting med and high carbs into the mix just seams to be adding too many variables. I realize I may have to (and I'll do whatever I have to do) but I'd prefer to try to stick only to the low carb.

Thank you all for being here for us.

36. Gator & H (GA)

We want you to stick to the low carb only - unless there is a problem. We do not really practice "tight regulation" here in PZI [not that we wouldn't welcome it] just that I think the overwhelming trend here is not to keep people up all night feeding all types of different foods. I hope this is an aberration for you.

With my cat I was happy to have in in the blues all day long just because he could do that. If he went into the greens and maybe as low as 70 that was just fine with me.

I think the advice you will get here in PZI will be targeted at trying to make this work with your life and you cat the best way possible. It does take a little energy in the beginning, but if you end up doing this long term, it gets easier.

To know more about how to go about next time, we are going to have to wait & see what he does tomorrow.

37. eeraby

eeraby Member

12:58 BG 116

thanks ya'll for all your good advice and time and hand holding tonight. Ya'll da best!

Headed to bed to try to sleep. Left note for hubby NOT to shoot but to wake me at 5 am for her am test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.