NEW GAME...HYPO'D LAST NIGHT..NOW WHAT?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Anonymous, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

PMPS 310 1.2U
    + 2 116
    +3 48
    +4 36

next day...

AMPS 412

ok players...what did you do with the nose dive and what will you do with your morning number? take us step by step and create your own +6, + 8, + 10
    and realize this is an all night affair.. those dang pm hypo's...get the coffee going. @-)

ETA think this can't happen. 3.5 years ago this was the scenario with tom..only difference was i had popped an ambien before +3....................the peeps on the board kept me awake all night long on the phone..i kept dozing off. real drama. i did'nt know venita at the time, i was just a newbie and she posted 'call the police' :lol: :lol: :lol: hi officer, i'm falling asleep on ambien..i think my cat is having a diabetic hypo...can you come over? :lol:

2. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

First of all... Immediately give HC food (or Karo or corn syrup on the gums) to keep cat from falling further. Switch the food to low carb food, definitely wet. Drop the dose to 1u BID and start over. That's what I did with Blackie. And most importantly... Test.. Test... Test every 15-30 minutes (I normally do about 20-30).

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok first bad me...i forgot to put in the dose...i'm going to make it 1.2
    either way angela we need way more info about when you'd start to treat, and it sounds like you'd start too late...but the second part wrong BUZZZZZ
    next?
    and get we get a little more info about when you'd start treating. at what + and with what.
    we are STEERING #'s here, not waiting for a disaster.

4. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

We can go back in history and change what we should have done at +3?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

gator you are eliminated in the first round...

6. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

OK, guess I'm staying out of this one. :D

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well you have to be serious. ;-) what would you REALLY do and when????? and i know you know this stuff.

8. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i actually agree with Angela. i'd HC the number at that 36 to get it up to a comfortable area then i'd monitor and act accordingly for the next several hours, using low carb if the numbers stay over 50 or if it drops back down then maybe use a bit more HC again. then in the morning, on that number, i personally would drop the dose because clearly 1.2 is too high, causing too steep of a drop and rebound, orrrrrrr one could skip the next shot and let the rebound & HC clear so as to get a true number after all that chaos, depending on the situation (i.e. person going to be home to monitor? person able to test or having difficulty with that? person new or old?, etc....)

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

cindy i am surprised you chose that route. i never told anyone how you hit the ball out of the park on the first test. really should post that one.
    i have to dissagree. you were with me that night but the difference is i never got those first two tests...i came in at +3 with i think 39 ish.
    we are working with the info from the first test on...how it could be steered.
    and as far as your second part of the answer...in those days i was told unequivably what to do....and it worked like magic....however i don't see it done too often anymore.
    do you remember???

10. LynnLee + Mousie

i would think because we were both so new at it then? we've learned a lot in the years we've been here and feel much more comfortable with all this. i remember going into a panic when someone would post "HELP BG 43!" and we'd all jump right in and say karo! hc food! etc and then once the crisis was over, go back and educate or re-think things and see perhaps another way things could have been done.....whereas now, i would automatically look over the whole situation first, and then answer because most situations don't seem as bad as back then perhaps? (unless the poster mentions anything that jumps out at me as serious like "kitty just wants to sleep" or something of that nature.) you remember how many hypo's we used to see on the board. gosh, i walked people thru them 2-3 times a week at least back then. now, hardly ever do you see one really. boy it used to be crazy didn't it. :)

eta: oh, i'd HC the 36 because it's so early in the cycle and theoretically is potentially moments away from a cat in seizures so that's why i went with HC. mind you, all answers are general answers of course since each kitty is different and each situation is different. :)

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

we were new??? when i was new i thought you ran the show!!! i thought you were the old timer :lol:
    but on another note what we did with a post hypo number back then worked wonders on tomtom but i rarely see it done anymore.
    also still waiting on a steering of these numbers guys....cat is dying here!!!!!!

cindy..on the old board remember how everyone who posted a response to your thread had it's own subject title if wanted. i remember i was sleepy and for no particular reason i decided to test tom at +3, ya know, just for fun. i saw 39 on the meter and i'm like 26 days on the board and i'm thinking...hmmm, i don't think this is good. so i go on the board and kind of casually say, i'm on ambien for the night and +3 39.
    OMG the board lite up...you first responder wrote in all caps HYPO ALERT!!!
    and thus the drama began.. but V was no newbie...do you remember she put a post withthe subject CALL THE POLICE it's all very funny now...but i was soooo embarrased the net day with the mile long thread where i acted ummmm, kind of 'detached' from the situation. ;-)

12. LynnLee + Mousie

yep, i would have been here a year or less was all at that time :) figure Mousie was diagnosed in september 2006 and i found fdmb shortly afterwards, about 3 weeks later when Mousie wasn't well, and found out Dr. Hodgkins was here in town and switched vets and insulin.

actually i'd love to read that thread again. i used to go back and do that from time to time to keep my memory fresh and all but when the old board started having so many problems and using search function would crash the board i had to stop. sometimes having stuff like that handy is helpful and helps in our credibility here i think. like when kitties have hypo'd really bad and appear to be on death's door from it and people need to hear it's survivable, i like to bring up PJ & Cagney because that one stands out in my mind and then Katy & Remy's first night here and that hypo sticks out in my mind because of his blindness he had that night and on and on :) or remember the diabetic lady who gave herself a bunch of her cat's insulin and we all stayed up with her to make sure she didn't hypo? ahhhh, the memories

anyhow, as far as steering the numbers, what do you mean? feeding and monitoring would do that if done in the right manner or do you want hypothetical numbers thru the rest of the night? what would be cool is if we could find that thread and get the numbers you did get that night.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes memory lane is fun.. we had some really good times here. and we had some really great discussions.
    i have one in my archive i can send you with ALL the heavy hitters talking about something in think tank...it was just good to see them all in one place.

what i'm looking for here, but i don't want to give it away yet...
    maybe i worded my question wrong.
    ok, here's what i was thinking would be a great treatment in this case.

at +2 i would know this is one of those times i will need to keep testing. i may give low carb here...or not.
    at +3 i would break out the low carb for sure. test in 1/2 hour not an hour...and knowing i still had a bunch of insulin in there if my numbers were flat (which i would expect) i would just continue testing every half hour and feeding bits of low carb. if they continued on down i would break out the high carb.
    i was hopeing someone would help me avoid that +4 altogether but i'm sure i could have better worded the question.
    if i could surf the 50's or 60's i would be ok. if i went up dramatically after high carb i would take note of how effective thatwas. i'm looking to not sky rocket of my own doing.
    i fully expect the cat to rebound...and the next day...i would shoot NOTHING.
    theory being, if he's been cool with that dose all along i now have some major pancreatic action (+2 must have been helped by pancreas) and now i want to watch him take himself down a while.
    in tom's case i watched him take himself ALL the way down to 219. by + 19
    by +24 he was at 243 and i was told still no shot. :shock: i did what i was told even tho' i was now pissed at being told that! at +27 he was 300 and i was given 'permission' to shoot .5U.
    that began tom's decent into remission. in 4 days he was OTJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.