Discussion on PZI in UK

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sue and Oliver (GA), Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi All,

There is an interesting discussion on Health concerning the InsuvetPZI used in the UK and whether it can be dosed once a day. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25326 It's toward the bottom - ending up highjacking the thread.

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I added my thought to that topic.

Just because it CAN be given once a day does not mean it SHOULD be given once a day. Just like because cats CAN have high carb diets and compensate with more insulin does not mean they SHOULD. If there is data out there to prove an insignificant difference in deltas from once a day to twice a day on Insuvet or any other PZI then that would be cool to see. Or just the data to show that what is in the petdiabetes wiki is right about Insuvet PZI. That onset is 2-5 hours and peak is at 12-24 hours after admin??? But I'm skeptical.

Here's the reference for that onset/duration:
    http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_ ... 34413.html

Seems odd to me.

That article also states:
    Average cat is 4-5 Kg - so that is more than typical starting dose recommended here.

Is there anyone out there that doses Insuvet PZI at twice per day and what do they think about this?

Any chance petdiabetes is wrong and needs to be updated/modified?

EDIT: I just noticed that the peddiabetes side bar description for BCP http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/BCP_PZI says that in cats the onset duration is the same as the supposed Insuvet numbers and I would bet BCP users would say differently.

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

The Wiki also notes that with cats the duration may be shorter:

It's in the text though, so that either makes the stats box to the right perhaps a little misleading, or maybe the jury is just out on Insuvet? I posted on this in Health not too long ago in reference to Carol & Carbonel if I remember right, and someone said basically it works just like the other PZIs.

It is confusing though. My advice to Carol was to get to a point where you have a clear nadir & U-curve and then once you have that, see what your duration is. It's tough though because Carbonel was getting sometimes low +12s, so what's a valid late nadir, i.e. this is how the insulin acts, vs. a problematic late nadir due to a late drop from the dose being too high. Unless you can do a 24-hour curve, it can be hard to read the #s if you don't really know how the insulin typically works.

Anyhow, I hope it gets figured out!!!! I'll have to pop on over to Health I guess..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.