06/12 Texas Gizmo PMPS=135, +2=90, +3.5=63, +4=68, +5.5=86, +11=153

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LizzieInTexas, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

06/11 +11=120

AMPS=115

Ate all overnight fudz. He didn't go to eat his +4.5 when the autofeeder turned last night so I waited about 5-10 min and then went and put him down in front of it. He ate a couple of bites and walked off. I headed up stairs to bed and hubby hollered up right when I got to the top that he was finishing! I was thrilled. Gizmo has the habit of coming to bed with me and I really would rather him eat before he comes upstairs (especially when mid-low greens).

Ate his AMPS fudz with no issues this morning. I will probably test at +1 just to see where he is going. May have to leave a bit of MC in the +2.5 snack.

I kinda checked up on the FD yesterday. I really needed to. Hubby let me sleep in (though I got up to give the shot - he got the feeder ready and stayed up with him to test). Then I went and got a message and then DH and I went to Mexican food and I had two margaritas. I really, really needed the break.

Hope everyone has a great Monday.:bighug:

Oh, I have a question - how much different is it drawing dosage from the cartridge than the vile? I am not sure when I am going to switch (I have a little less than 1/4 in the vile and it seems to be working fine :smuggrin:) but the next one will be the cartridge and am a little worried not "practicing". Any input will be helpful and welcome.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Gizmo is eating better for you. I hope he continues to do so. Nice that you were able to take a little break yesterday. We all need that once in a while. There is no difference as far as drawing insulin out of the vial versus the cartridge. The only thing is you do not inject anything back into the cartridge because it is pressurized. I never inject anything back into the vial when I used it, so it was the same for me when I switched.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  3. LizzieInTexas

I really try not to but I know I have/do. It is the stupid air bubbles. Are those better with the cartridges?

4. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Yay for getting a break from FD! Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

I love the greens Gizmo gave you last night.

Surf safely Gizmo!

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I still get air bubbles from time to time. To me it seems to be because of the syringe, not the vial or cartridge.

6. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

I agree with Carla. I think it has more to do with the syringe. I also still have to deal with the bubbles with the cartridge.

7. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

The one thing you are supposed to different in a vial to avoid a vacuum is to inject air into it before turning upside down to draw the insulin. For example if you are drawing 2u of insulin, pull the syringe back to the 2u line before putting into vial, put syringe into vial (right-side up so insulin is at bottom) and push 2u of air in, then turn vial with syringe still injected into it upside down so needle is in the actual insulin, and then draw your 2u of insulin.

8. MélanieW

MélanieW Member

Love the "new" name. :p Looking good Gizmo and hope he is feeling better.

Glad you had some time for yourself @LizzieInTexas ! :)

9. LizzieInTexas

I have never injected air into my vile. I use the method for the cartridge/pen with the vile. I have always done that. I am on my 2nd vile. Why would you inject air into the vile? Is it to keep it from sucking the insulin back in (from the syringe)? Well, I guess my learning curve won't me an issue - lol.

10. LizzieInTexas

Since there are now two Gizmo's on the board I figured it would be less confusing. Besides - he is a Texas cat!

[​IMG]

Gill & George likes this.
  11. Bronx's dad (GA)

I think the reason is to not create a vacuum in the vial. A pen needs vacuum, a vial does not. Probably more applicable when drawing larger doses, drawing only .5u probably has no effect at all on causing a vacuum in the vial.

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good to know, I didn't know that but I have always used the Lantus pens.

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Nice looking cycle so far Gizmo. And , sounds like a perfect day yesterday with a Mexican food break ( and the Margaritas helped too) ;)

Lizzie, with the pens, you can get every last drop out of them. When the vials are almost done, it's harder to extract the insulin out ( at least it was when I was using a vial of ProZinc)

14. Bronx's dad (GA)

Yep. When the plunger gets close to the bottom of the pen, I cut the plastic off to get to the actual vial and am able to get about 10-15u more. Even after the plunger hits the bottom, I push it back up with air to get the last 10u of Levemir. (every little bit helps when you go thru a pen in less than a week!)

15. LizzieInTexas

PMPS=135

History:
    AMPS=115, +2=130

Was a PITA trying to get him to eat PS - he finally ate all but a couple of bites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.